Got up around 8AM after a 13-person hangout night the night before ended around 2:30AM.
Made it out the door by 8:22AM, and went out until 12:45PM, with a 20 minute food break (and a gas break too), so we will call that about 4 hours.
Total spent $24.00 plus ~$10 gas for 59 miles of driving, for a total cost of $34.00.
We bought 29 items – the only real necesity being toothpaste (it’s nice to find ‘normal’ stuff at yard sales sometimes) – for a total estimated value of $261.49, leading to a profit of $227.49.
That’s $56.87/hr as a couple or $28.44/hr per person. And to earn that much after taxes you’d really have to earn $325; money saved (by not having to spend it) is actually worth more than we realize when the government’s cut is taken into consideration.
- $10.00: karaoke machine, can’t play cds / can only play/record cassettes, also takes batteries, suitable for singing in jam sessions, could be used as a LOW power guitar amp, Radio Shack 32-1156 — I wonder if I’ll ever find any Karaoke cassettes? [owner's manual] (EV:$10 [I made it less than that auction because it's used, missing the microphones, and doesn't have the cassette for it])
- $2.00: game, board game, Game Of The States, very old 70′s-looking edition like the one I played with my dad circa 1980 (EV:$8)
- $2.00: game, board game, Ur – Royal Game Of Sumer – oldest board game in history (4500 yrs old) – official rules never determined, but an ancestor to backgammon [some more history] (EV:$9)
- $1.00: wooden drawer organizer (3 levels, 2-3 drawers per level, good for utility room type organization) (kind of like a less fancy, more homemade-looking version of this) (EV:$10, at least)
- $0.50: book, manga, Battle Angel Alita ($17)
- $0.50: book, manga, Battle Angel Alita – Tears Of An Angel ($16)
- $0.50: book, manga, Ranma 1/2 3, ($16)
- $0.50: book, manga, Ranma 1/2 4, ($16)
- $0.50: book, manga, Ranma 1/2 Vol. 1, ($10)
- $0.50: book, manga, Ranma 1/2 Vol. 2, ($10)
- $0.50: book, manga, The Vision Of Escaflowne – 1 Katsu Aki ($10)
- $0.50: book, manga, The Vision Of Escaflowne – 2 Katsu Aki ($10)
- $0.50: book, manga, The Vision Of Escaflowne – 3 Katsu Aki ($10)
- $0.50: book, manga, The Vision Of Escaflowne – 4 Katsu Aki ($10)
- $0.50: drumsticks, stained dark for some reason – just realized I need to own 2 sets, not 1, last night. Serendipity! (EV:$1.69)
- $0.50: game, Claymania – maybe this game will finally be a good sculpting game? Other ones have failed due to bad rules, and Cranium only uses clay sometimes (EV:$15)
- $0.50: gift bags (3), long & thin, like for wine bottles (EV:$0.80)
- $0.50: hand sanitizer, Purell, 8oz. ($4)
- $0.50: Christmas ornaments (7), not round but more disco ball style (EV:$$10.50)
- $0.50: purse, black (EV:$4)
- $0.50: toothpaste, Close-up, Whitening, Collector’s Edition (hahahaha!!!!) (Up Close And Personal With Jeff and Brooke Gordon–but they’re only on the box, not the toothpaste tube, hahahahha), 6oz. (EV:$2)
- $0.25: ski tote, purple ($14:$15 on ebay minus $1 for being chipped in a way that doesn’t affect its operation)
- $0.25: touch light, battery powered [these come in handy] (EV:$2.50)
- $FREE: book, cookbook, Cooking Light 1989 (EV:$1)
- $FREE: book, RPG, Wraith – The Oblivion – White Wolf (270pgs) ($25.00) – Given to Eli, who might actually be able to use this!
- $FREE: coin rolls (~20) (oops–no pennies, which is the only one I wanted) (EV:$0)
- $FREE: pillow, microbead, Pop-Tart (to go with our Nerds microbead pillow! wtf!) (EV:$15 – $5 for worn condition=$10)
- $FREE: old man and old lady bank figurines – for Matt to shoot (EV:$1)
- $FREE: waste basket, wicker (~3gal) (EV:$$8… seems kinda high, but this thing is like new, looks more like this one)
2010 STATS SO FAR:
TOTAL EXPEDITIONS: 7
TOTAL HOURS: ~23.75
TOTAL MILES DRIVEN: ~263.4
TOTAL ITEMS BOUGHT: 124-183, depending on how you count them
TOTAL MONEY SPENT: $315.43
TOTAL ESTIMATED VALUE: $1,965.96
TOTAL PROFIT: $1,650.53
AVG HOURLY WAGE PER PERSON: $34.75/hr
* EV stands for “Estimated Value”, which I estimate by looking things up in Google Shopping/Google/Amazon/Ebay. I don’t always deduct for an item being used, unless it’s actually in worse condition.