And we inch closer and closer to a literally Orwellian society. Where the fuck can I escape to?
September 30, 2010
September 29, 2010
JOURNAL: YARD SALES: 20100925: 2010 Expedition #13: Wasn’t even going yard saleing, and got all this stuff!Posted by Clint under Carolyn, Clint, Hobbies & Activities, People, Yard Sales
Leave a Comment
We got up around 1PM, sore, hungry, and ears ringing after the Atari Teenage Riot concert — followed by drinking and watching f’ed up TV with John The Canadien until 5AM. It turns out John had left his keys and had slept in our front yard a bit, and had just called us asking us to wake up. (Indeed, hearing the phone from the other room accelerated my rousing slightly.)
On our way to Taco Bell, we saw all these signs. We stopped at a few sales before going to Taco Bell. Then we went to Taco Bell. Then, afterward, we took a bunch of various circuits back to our house. Turns out I had an expired registration AND expired tags AND I was leaking break fluid — breaks stopped working later that day.
We ended up out until 3 or 3:30PM or so, for a total of maybe 1.5 or 2 hours of actual yard saleing. We’ll say 1.75hours, since it’s a guess.
A lot of stuff was free. Yard sales were closing out since primetime is 8AM-12NOON, and we were out around 2-3PM. One lady was taking down signs for a community yardsale. I asked her if they were all over. She said, “There’s a truck down the street by the pool, just take whatever you want out of the back of it.” That was interesting. I felt like a thief. Found a hot-shoe camera flash for “real cameras” which we gave to John The Canadien.
Other yardsales were completely abandoned, with “free” signs in front of piles of stuff. I grabbed a 50 cd changer and stereo just sitting on a curb at a totally different yardsale. The only room in the house that you can’t hear our “central music” from as easily is the foyer/living room where we play Guitar Hero — what the hell, I’ll set it up there and see if it actually works as a CD changer. It’s been almost a decade since I had a working cd changer.
Total spent $14.75 plus ~$3 gas for (a random guess of) 15 miles of driving, for a total cost of $17.75.
We bought ~ 21 items – including a duplicate of something I regretted passing up previously, a quesadilla maker, $5 when I passed it up, and $5 this time – for a total estimated value of $262.34, leading to a profit of $319.59 (though there’s no way in hell we’d ever be able to sell it for that, of course, as most of this stuff was literally TRASH).
To earn that much after taxes you’d really have to earn $456; money saved (by not having to spend it) is actually worth more than we realize when the government’s cut is taken into consideration. Anyway, this works out to a “wage” of $182.62/hr as a couple or $91.31/hr per person.
- $7.00: MOM DON’T READ [highlight for spoilers]→ vase with twigs, the type my mom decorates her house with[highlight for spoilers]→ (EV:I dunno, gonna guess $10)
- $6.00: 2 white fur rugs, $3/ea (EV:$78)
- $5.00: quesadilla maker (EV:$22)
- $1.00: ice bucket, insulated, with lid (plastic inside, metal outside, plastic handle, gold and 1970s looking) (even brand new, it doesn’t come with tongs, though) (same as one on left in the picture) ($19)
- $1.00: light, fiberoptic flower, broken – light comes on, but doesn’t cycle, includes music box. Gold colored base case. (EV:$16, but since it’s broken, we’ll say $3 – It still lights up, just doesn’t cycle. Maybe fixable.)
- $0.50: light, touch (EV:$1, they have these at the dollar store) (these are useful for behind stereos and such, where you don’t necessarily have lights, but need light to see when you’re wiring things up. Or when you’re fixing your computer.)
- $0.25: sanding discs, 5 5″ discs, 3M cat no. 9154 (2 fine, 2 medium, 1 coarse) (EV:$2.09)
- FREE: book, Jane Fonda’s Workout Book, 1981 (EV:$4)
- FREE: books, Cooking With Betty Crocker – 4 books – Betty Crocker’s Cookbook (EV:$60! Who pays that?!?!)
- FREE: books, Cooking With Betty Crocker – 4 books – Betty Crocker’s Dinner For Two Cookbook (EV:$16)
- FREE: books, Cooking With Betty Crocker – 4 books – Betty Crocker’s Dinner Parties (EV:$3.50)
- FREE: books, Cooking With Betty Crocker – 4 books – Betty Crocker’s Good And Easy Cookbook (EV:$5)
- FREE: haunted house, porcelain, lights up (EV:$45, and totally not worth it)
- FREE: game, Deluxe Uno (seems half the cards are missing) (EV:$36 originally, but I’m just saying $1 because it’s Uno, it’s at the Dollar store if I’m not mistaken, and we just kept the deck and threw away the box anyway)
- FREE: game, Friends Trivia Game (EV:$20) … Yeah, we’ll play this at least once!
- FREE: jar, Planters 1983 (haha! we successfully googled… A JAR!.. There should be a pointless reward for that) (EV:$4.75)
- FREE: magazine, Family Circle Great Ideas – Best Ever Chicken Recipes, May 1976 issue (EV:$2)
- FREE: stereo, 50 DISC CHANGER, 200W, Sony, model HCD-MC1, 200w, Manuf. 2000/01, s/n#8226989 – (EV:$40, but that includes remote and speaker wire, so we’ll say $30)
- FREE: speakers for the Sony stereo, Model SS-MC1, s/n#8126090 (EV:covered in the item above)
- FREE: sun catcher, Stained Glass decoration (EV:$5)
- FREE: television, portable, Alaron 5″, Manuf. 1994/05 Model#TV-672, S/N#4232018546, Tuning range: TV 2-13ch(vhf), 14-83Ch(uhf). Power consumption: DC 13.5V 18w (needs ac adapter) (EV:$20, but the missing AC adapter will cost $14, so we’ll say $6)
- FREE: camera flash, Canon, Hot Shoe (EV:$5, cause it’s old)
* EV stands for “Estimated Value”, which I estimate by looking things up in Google Shopping/Google/Amazon/Ebay. I don’t always deduct for an item being used, unless it’s actually in worse condition in a way that matters. For example, I estimate books at the cover value. I also try to only count shipping if it’s the type of thing that would need to be shipped, and only if the price isn’t “fixed” (i.e. 1 cent items that cost $10 to ship would not be $10 in person).
September 29, 2010
"I don't like what goes on in this privately owned establishment, even though I am not forced to go there. I shall petition the government to make them stop what they are doing, because I don't like it. " The smoking ban / tyranny of the majority / government intervention crowd rears its ugly head again. LET PEOPLE DO WHAT THEY WANT. Nobody is forcing you to go there!
I gotta start doing this.
Here's another article the vegetarians will love, but this is, again, another example of corporate negligence. It's not the meat itself that's bad, it's the way american industry handles it for maximum profit. MRSA sucks!
The FDA does not have jurisdiction over meat products?!?!! What the fuck? Isn't that what we appointed them for? Shithole EGYPT tests for this stuff, but WE don't???
Not because meat is inherently bad, like vegetarians want us to think. But because meat companies use a color fixer called sodium nitrite, to make the meat look more fresh. I'd be perfectly willing to eat nasty looking meat if it's the EXACT SAME MEAT WITHOUT A CARCINOGEN ADDED.
This traces back to people generally being superficial and overcleanly and snobby about appearances.
I guess they'd rather have cancer.,
The USDA tried to ban this in the 1970s, but our corporate overlords ruled the country instead. So also file this under: corporations and corpratism.
Fortunately we don't purchase beef in any form in our household. Ground turkey is a perfectly acceptable substitute, and it is considered a white meat. But I wonder where it lies on the health spectrum here.
Fuck, so much for having 20/20 vision my whole life. I'm testing 20/25 on both eyes on this chart. Carolyn's testing 20/25 left, 20/20 right, so she beats me by 1 eye.
It's kinda weird – because my display is so big, I had to stand 24 feet away. On my spiral stairs. You gotta take a ruler, measure the letter A, and do some math to see how far you must stand away, since everybody's computer is different.
No force is justified on a house call like this. If you're invited into someone's home for non-criminal purposes, you should not use criminal tactics. What the fuck?
Diedra Forte, feel free to leave a comment!
Ain't it funny how the child victim is named, but not the public servant paid for by our tax dollars?
This is obvious, but I hadn't thought of it. The US govt forced manufacturers to include backdoors in technology (CALEA law). So of course authoritarian regimes want the same phones that WE forced to exist. Great job, assholes.
Several layers of ridiculous here. Of course the kids weren't white… They were even charged — for having a lighter: "Possessing smoking paraphernalia." How dare you have fire!
I don't see how this could possibly suck. Two things I like: Reznor and HBO/
Those of us paying attention have seen how this has worked in other countries that have tried it: Wikipedia being blocked for showing album covers with young naked girls on it, sites criticizing the blacklist showing up on the blacklist itself, etc. etc. IF YOU DON'T LIKE SOMETHING, SURF TO ANOTHER PAGE.
Read this, parents.
September 28, 2010
Leave a Comment
Dreamed we went to some party.
The location was my uncle Duke’s house [which comes up in dreams all the time for some reason]:
Except that, as is often in the case of dreams, you know things aren’t how they really are. Despite this being the house above, it was also simultaneously my parents’ final Woodbridge house [they weren’t there] as well:
The people attending were goth scene/DC clubber types, except I didn’t know any of them. They were particularly unfriendly in this dream, compared to in real life.
I looked for intoxicants and couldn’t find any.
I also looked through my cousin Nathan‘s files on his computer, which was in my mom’s original writing room.
Eventually everyone left, and we were going to go to sleep in my old room / Britt’s old room / the upstairs bedroom of my parents’ final Woodbridge house. Then I noticed somebody sitting really really high on a tree branch. I thought it was a cheerleader. “Why is a cheerleader about to watch us sleep?”
But closer inspection revealed it was Oranjello, so high up in a tree that it seemed like he wouldn’t be able to get down without hurting/killing himself.
So I decided to reach out and pull him in through the window, but the window didn’t really open. So instead, I vertically pulled him in between the panes of glass. I mean, scrunching him to like 1-2 inches. I was really surprised he fit through, but he did. It was like he was a liquid kitty.
September 28, 2010
"The report confirmed what the Obama administration already knew from the autopsy report on Dogan, but the administration has remained silent about the killing of Dogan."
"Bilgen was shot in the head with a "soft baton round at such close proximity that an entire bean bag and its wadding penetrated the skull and lodged in the chest from above.""
All the rights of human beings, but none of the responsibilities. Corporations have morphed into an entirely different beast from what they were when it was first established.
What did this particular case do? It allowed an oil company (Shell) to get away with having people EXECUTED, FUCKING EXECUTED for protesting them.
I don't know how many times I have to explain that WordPress is the best blogging platform….
It's about time. Hopefully the pigs will stop arresting people for this type of bullshit. IF YOU CAN TAPE US, WE CAN TAPE YOU.
September 27, 2010
It's much easier to oppress another people for 70+ years if your children grow up indoctrinated to only one side of the conflict's narrative. This reminds me of something they'd do in Texas or Kansas.
This is the exact same shit as Bush. Spying on Americans, making it so that your constitutional right to privacy no longer exists. The govenrment wants to ensure that no matter where you speak, they can place their ear next to your mouth and listen to what you said. In light of the recent raids on antiwar protesters, the Obama Administration is continuing to look more and more like the Bush Administration.
So, did voting Democrat bring your privacy back? Stop wiretapping? Didn't think so.
Isn't it funny? The constitution guarantees that our papers and effects cannot be searched by the government. But because phones didn't exist when the constitution was written, the government argues that they are not protected. Of course, if you brought the founding fathers to our current time — they would disapprove of this. Their point was that people had the right to privacy. This right was not supposed to disappear when new technology came around.
A review of the Atari Teenage Riot show Carolyn & I went to with John The Canadien and AE last Friday. It was AMAZING!!!!!!!
Will Israel shoot Jews dead this time? I doubt it. Some are even Zionists. One of the activists says: "I am a Zionist, I still believe I have a right to be here, but not to rob Palestinians from their land and steal the rights of 1.5 million people." Well, that's a nice compromise. One that I think most people would have been fine with this entire time. Too bad some bad apples always have to ruin it for everyone else…
Yup. Obama's so-called transparent government of change and hope includes killing secret people in secret, and never talking about it. Hope? Change? Transparency? Bullshit.
This is state sanctioned murder of American citizens without due process or any form of legal recourse whatsoever. This is NOT cool.
Another Food Party site!
FoodParty.tv, another food party site!
Even if she was not listening to cops and trying to flee, there is no statute in any lawbook stating that police can kill someone for running away. NOR SHOULD THEIR BE. Capital crimes include murder, treason — NOT running away from the cops for non-violent drug crimes.
Of course he used the excuse of "I thought he was going to run over my partner, therefore i was saving his life", but let's face it, most people are going to consider this to be murder. Even his partner initially told investigators that he "couldn't believe that shots were fired in a situation like this."
Of course the shooting was found to be justified. If a cop thinks you are a danger to someone, they can get away with murdering you, EVEN IF YOU WEREN'T A DANGER TO SOMEONE.
Using deadly force to save a life is valid, but taking such things on the good faith of "Oh i thought it was valid but it wasn';t really" should not be an excuse that can be used by TRAINED, taxpayer-funded professionals.
The guy quit to "pursue his love of sailing". Or maybe he realized that every breath he takes has been stolen from someone who wasn't really a threat to anybody. I hope his sailboat sinks, with him on it.
What started this all? It was "suspicious" for someone to pull their car over!
September 25, 2010
Because she called for help for a kidnapping, she was shot by police. Cowardly police that shoot any dog that runs towards them. Funny how when police are the perpetrators, it's the victim that gets named, and not the one shooting someone.