Yard sale double date with Matthew and Julie!
We had planned this several weeks in advance, though in retrospect, Memorial Day weekend isn’t the best weekend for yard sales. Less people throw them because people are out of town, and although there is less competition at the sales (so the stuff-per-sale was cooler), there is way more distance and time between finding the sales.
We took Matthew’s jeep, which meant we could get larger items than usual. The 7 yaffa blocks (which stack to my ceiling upstairs) were attached to the roof of Matthew’s jeep.
But not very well. We lost them on the road right before getting to my house. One block was about 0.15mi away before our house; another got pushed by a car right up to our driveway; and a 3rd was found on a side street 0.15mi past our house. That one had major burnt/scraped plastic. They still work, though.
I also made an offer to buy a guy’s computer (during which Matthew surreptitiously photographed me) — just the box — for $20. But he was all concerned about getting his personal information off of it.
He took my info, but never got back to me. Sheesh. I’m not interested in your data, as interesting as it may be. I just wouldn’t mind an extra CPU+motherboard+case, so I could build a computer in a pinch if one broke down. Oh well.
Got up around 8AM, waited for Matthew & Julie to show up, and made it out riding in Matthew’s jeep at 9:04AM, and went out until 1:28PM, for a total of 4 hours & 24minutes.
Total spent $61.50.
NO GAS for 42.2 miles of driving because Matthew drove.
We bought 16 items – 24 if you count each coolant bottle / yaffa block separately – for a total estimated value of $385.92, leading to a profit of $324.42. To earn that much after taxes you’d really have to earn $460; money saved (by not having to spend it) is actually worth more than we realize when the government’s cut is taken into consideration.
Anyway, this works out to a “wage” of $73.73/hr as a couple or $36.86/hr per person.
- $10.00: billboard sign, programmable, Moving Message by Dynasty, 28″ x 3.5″, screen 2″ (EV:$120)
- $10.00: yaffa block shelves (x2 but since combined into one). 7 blocks. (was 8, but one is lost. 2 are damaged because they fell off the roof of Matthew’s Jeep) (impossible to find original yaffa blocks on sale, but based on this link I’d say $5/block, so this would be EV:$35)
- $6.00: luggage, wheeled, 16.5″ x 12″ x 26″ (EV:$40)
- $5.00: bongo, furry (EV:$10)
- $5.00: bongo, wooden (EV:$12)
- $5.00: light, halogen, black (EV:$30–docked $5 for missing bulb and curtain guard)
- $4.00: tent, Hillary, model no. 308. 71206, HUGE size, no poles, turned out to be useless. Kept the bag. (EV:$0 because it’s useless.) *** RIP OFF OF THE WEEK ***
- $3.00: coolant (3 bottles @ $1 ea) (EV:$21.63)
- $3.00: shelf, over monitor, as seen on tv — missing the main screws – same sale as the dud Hillary tent (EV:$$6–docked $2 off for missing screws)
- $3.00: charging station, 3 sections, 12″x8″ (EV:$32, though Clint finds these utterly worthless, and has been vindicated by the fact that devices have fallen off these slanted charging stations in our house and smashed onto our hardwood floors more than once — at what point does the negative value of losing a whole device come into account?)
- $3.00: lamp, leopard print (EV:$15, since the shades themselves go for $10)
- $2.00: kimono – too small for Carolyn unfortunately (EV:$40)
- $1.00: lamp, round, low center-of-gravity (EV:$5)
- $0.50: goggles, safety (EV:$1.29)
- $0.50: lamp, red, flexible (EV:$15)
- $0.50: lampshade, trippy, orange – a bit tattered, but way more interesting than our existing lampshades, and it goes well with the ‘Love’ hippie poster in the corner of our house under the spiral stairs (EV:$3)
No free stuff this week! Strange.
* EV stands for “Estimated Value”, which I estimate by looking things up in Google Shopping/Google/Amazon/Ebay. I don’t always deduct for an item being used, unless it’s actually in worse condition in a way that matters. For example, I estimate books at the cover value. I also try to only count shipping if it’s the type of thing that would need to be shipped, and only if the price isn’t “fixed” (i.e. 1 cent items that cost $10 to ship would not be $10 in person).Mood: hungry
Music: Voivod – Ripping Headaches (live) (demo) (198412)