/yard sale sign/


Got up around 7:05AM. Carolyn made breakfast AND lunch to take again, so we didn’t make it out driving until 7:41AM.

In the tride and true pattern of “bad week follows good week”, we did not have many stops, and were back home by 10:25AM.

So the total time was only 2 hours, 44 minutes. And of that time, 2 hours, 17 minutes were driving. Yes: only 27 minutes (16%) at actual sales. The rest (84%) was just driving around, basically.

I was in an extremely foul mood from friend-drama the previous night, so I lacked the motivation to get out at most sales, and tried to convince Carolyn to go while I sat in the car. So we drove by most of the yard sales without going in, thus only 27 minutes at the sales. But they weren’t that great-looking either.

Spent $30.00 plus ~$9.75 gas for 38.1 miles of driving (14.1 mpg @ $3.61/G), for a total cost of $39.75.

We bought 7 items – for a total estimated value of $228.25, leading to a profit/savings of $188.50.

So in essence, we multiplied our $39.75 investment by 4.74X. Not as high as previous weeks, which is indicitive of this being a bad week.

(Also, the profit counts for even more when you consider that we have to earn $207 on the job [prior to taxes] in order to actually take home the $188.50 in cash that we saved.)

Anyway, this works out to a *post-tax* “wage” of $82.55/hr as a couple or $41.28/hr per person.


Worst Salesman Ever. This guy wanted $5 for a fan, so Carolyn offered $3, and he said, “Let me think about it for 2 minutes while I tell you about this fan. It was broken, but it still worked, so I tied it together, and it still works. How about $4?” By this time, Carolyn was like, “Nevermind”, and walked away. The guy called after her like, “OK, $3!”, and she was like “No, I don’t want it anymore.” Haha. He talked her out of even paying her offered amount for it. And he had another yard sale the following week, with the fan still there! AND OH! THE WEEK AFTER THAT HE WAS THERE WITH THE FAN YET AGAIN!  Three weeks of him trying to sell it. This is a rare tidbit for me to add, as I usually complete these blog posts prior to the following week’s expedition. In this case, I’m 8 days behind, so there you go: Built-in 1-week-later & 2-week-later updates. The dude STILL HAD THE FAN on June 23rd!

20120609 - yardsale booty - our booty - IMG_4373


  • $10.00: paint (2 gallons), Behr, Ultra Pure White, #1050 & #7050 – supposedly never used, supposedly 2yrs old, supposedly opened & stirred to ensure it hadn’t rotted. It took a lot to convince us to pay $5 for each gallon. (EV:these go from $20 to $37 each, so we’ll just call this $50) – For our paint-the-roof-white project, to save money. Better ROI if your paint is dirt cheap.
  • $10.00: *standalone* dvd recorder, LiteOn, LVW-1101HC1 [no remote; didn’t want one anyway] – the type you use to convert VHS tapes with, or record from a camera. Missing the remote, but I tested the eject tray, to not repeat the previous experience where we paid $15 for one of these, and the tray wouldn’t eject. CRAP. Found out this only records DVD+R, not DVD-R. Okay, anybody want to trade? I will give you two DVD-Rs for one DVD+R. (EV:$40 was the value we decided in 2011) – This one better work! But at least I tested it better this time.
  • $8.00: bread machine, Breadman Deluxe Rapid Breadmaker – 59minute, 2lb bread ($65 online, though retail is $120) – Exact same as our other bread machine, which will make measuring our our bread more simple.
  • $1.00: game, Cranium Hullabaloo (EV:$11.30) – The clay, of course, was all dried up. We bought some Play-Doh at K-Mart for $3.
  • $0.50: toy, interactive solar system (EV:apparently people were actually paying $47 for this when it came out?! WHY?!?!?! IT HARDLY DOES ANYTHING! WTF!! But, in fact, it sells for $24.98 on Ebay. Still way overpriced.) – for future-Sagan

  • $0.50: crown, Burger King crown, like the one we have but without ribbon on it – NOT the paper crowns they have, but hard plastic with foam insert (EV:$2) – We like the one we have, so why not have another?

20070317 - Carolyn's birthday and St. Patrick's Day party - 0 - wearing crown - Carolyn, Clint - 115-1541

  • $FREE: mirror, 26×32″, with gold-painted wooden frame (EV:$34.97) – Can never turn down a free mirror.

Click here for other Yard Sale-related postings.

TOTAL ITEMS BOUGHT: 190-300 (depending on how you count)

* EV stands for “Estimated Value”, which I estimate by looking things up in Google Shopping/Google/Amazon/Ebay. I don’t always deduct for an item being used, unless it’s actually in worse condition in a way that matters. For example, I estimate books at the cover value. I also try to only count shipping if it’s the type of thing that would need to be shipped, and only if the price isn’t “fixed” (i.e. 1 cent items that cost $10 to ship would not be $10 in person).

Mood: full
Music: Celtic Frost – Sacrifice (live)