We had 7AM yardsales promising FRICKIN‘ LASERS, so we got up early, around 6:25AM, and made it out driving by 7:05AM, yardsaleing until 11:45AM. But then I had to go back out for 30 minutes (and 6.8 more miles) to fix a purchase I’d been screwed on. The lasers-dude gave me the wrong power cord! When I came back, they were discussing the movie Evil Bong. They liked it.
Spent $30.75 plus ~$15.09 gas for 61.5 miles of driving (14.1 mpg @ $3.46/G), for a total cost of $45.84.
We purchased 24 items for a total estimated value of $
257.56 229.06, leading to a profit/savings of $ 211.72 183.22.
So in essence, we multiplied our $45.84 investment by
(Also, if you think about it, the profit counts for even more when you consider that we have to earn $232 on the job to earn the $211.72 in cash that we saved. How long does $211.72 of disposable income take to earn, vs the 5 hrs we spent here?)
Anyway, this works out to a *post-tax* “wage” of
$40.98/hr $35.46/hr as a couple or $20.49/hr $17.73/hr per person. We’ve definitely done better in the past.
Yardsale regret: Tiny $3 dvd/mp3 player. We walked away, and then Carolyn said it could be used on vacations, so Clint went back to get it and it was already in the hands of these other guys. Must remember that next time!
Bitch who screwed us on the electronic dartboard! See comments below.
Susan & Angel’s yardsale. I forgot to mention that we went to a yard sale some friends were throwing. It was quite out of the way from our normal circuit, but it let us see some parts of town we’d never quite seen, and let us get into some interesting bonus sales (including one of our pimp ice buckets). Angel was only bringing her stuff out by the time we were leaving, and a smashing time was had by all.
- $10.00: Laser FX, music-visualizer, With Design In Mind (EV:$150! Whoa, really?! Well, Spencer Gifts sells some completely different items that do about the same thing, with comparable ones being as low as $50, so we’ll go with $50.) – Will st this up downstairs for extra party ambiance!
- $4.00: dart board, electronic, 25 games with 75 level varience, Halex, Game Winner Pro sku 17352712, barcode 0029087644101 (EV:$29.99 price tag but only $0.50 since the bitch lied) (some rules) – More games for the house! Maybe I’ll set this up in the upstairs hallway? I never have a reason to hang out in the hallway! NO!! BUT WAIT!! THE STUPID BITCH PUT A NON-ELECTRONIC DARTBOARD IN THE BOX, AND EVEN COVERED IT WITH BUBBLEWRAP TO SCREW US! WHAT THE FUCK! How dishonest! Buyer beware!
- $3.00: game, science kit, The Young Scientists Club, Set 5 (Kit 13 – Water, Kit 14 – Capillary action, Kit 15 – air) (EV:$19.09) – for future-Sagan?
- $3.00: light, spinning, Radioshack, Rotating Ball of Light, 10″ high, ball 7″, missing one light cover, plug was spliced together, motor is broken, goddamnit (EV:$5.87, but motor is broken, so we’ll say $2–a loss) – Gave this to the kind folks at Happy House, because I am ultra-snobby about the motor not spinning.
- $3.00: ice bucket, insulated, faux wood grain panel, metal handle, 9.625×8.25″, Vintage 1960s Kromex (EV:$34.99) ($17.99 for smaller one) – to replace the 2 insulated ice buckets we ruined by running through the dishwasher (we still use them as caddies, though)
- $2.00: ice bucket, insulated vertical gold reflective strips, pimp, plastic handle, 11×8″, Georges Briard (EV:$11.99 for smaller one, and large ones seem to go for double the price, so we’ll say $20) – both ice buckets we ruined are now replaced. This is the pimpest ice bucket I’ve ever seen in my life.
- $0.50: plate, McDonalds, plastic, Ronald McDonald and Grimace, 10″, Lexmorton (EV:$8.00, but ours is in bad condition and scratched up and chipped, so we’ll say $2. The value is mostly sentimental.) – Me & Carolyn both had this plate growing up!!
- $0.50: cat scratcher, hanging, rough rope, blue stripes, 18.625×4.875″ [from Susan] (EV:$8.99) – more entertainment for the cats… Before we hung this on the doorknob, Oranjello would just hang out and sit and lay on it, for days.
- $0.50: paper towel holder, wood, verticle standing [from Angel] (EV:$7.00) – we normally use old cd/dvd spindle bottoms for this, but now we have a nice one that doesn’t tip as easily! Thanks Angel!
- $0.50: toy, Hulk Hands, The Hulk Movie 2003, left hand only, battery compartment, makes sound effects, 11″x7.5″ (EV:$44.99 for both hands, but out of stock, and this is only one hand, so we’ll say $22.50) (commercial for The Thing feet and Hulk hands) – Instant hit at Happy House… You can play it like bongos, it’s fun to drop and watch bounce around, it’s addictive, and it’s list price is $250?!?!?! WTF.
- $0.33: action figure, Puss In Boots, Shrek, 4.125″, has a switch, McDonalds 2007 (EV:$0.99) (Youtube video)
- $0.33: action figure, Tigress, Kung Fu Panda, 3.75″, 4 moveable joints, flips, McDonalds 2008 (EV:$4.75)
- $0.33: action figure, Venom, Spiderman, 3.375″, 4 moveable joints (EV:couldn’t find this online, but it’s a low- to mid-end action figure, so we’ll say $2)
- $0.25: action figure, Darkseid (Superman villain), 4.125″, with stand, arms adjust, but they are both the same, DC Universe: Fighting Figures (Wave 1) line (EV:$29.99 if new in box and with Superman, but ours is just Darkseid, and weapon is missing, so $5)
- $0.25: action figure, Batman, 5.5″, 10 movable joints, M5053, Batman The Dark Knight – Stealth Wing Batman (EV:$8.00 new in box, with weapons, ours is missing weapons, so $3)
- $0.25: action figure, Robin, 6″, DC Super Heroes edition – Nightwing Blue variant from Toys R Us (but it’s still Robin, just with black/grey uniform instead of red/green), 11 moveable joints, J2014 (EV:I thought it was $58.90 after converting pounds to dollar, but that one has Robin colors and isn’t the Nigtwing Blue Varaint, which someone is selling for $69.99 on Ebay, except that one comes with Batman, is new in the box, and has 0 offers at that price. Hmmm. Turns out Amazon has this for $43.95, but only 1 left in stock, so it’s about to be worth more! In the end, I will guess a $10 value for this, since it’s out of the box) – One of the most poseable action figures I’ve ever seen. Not a huge Robin/Nightwing fan, but still. You can make him outstretch his arms and turn his wrists upward at the sky, like “COME AT ME GOD”, all while arching his back and thrusting his pelvis out. It’s ridiculously poseable, and can even stand up like that.
- $0.25: tambourine, 8″, 6 tines, Microsoft Regional Director Program, TheRegion.Com, cracked but works fine (EV:$3.83)
- $0.25: roach tablets, Harris, 6oz, 40% boric acid, killtheroach.com, product code hrt6 [from Susan] (EV:$4.99) – Our 7 month war against the roaches seems to be coming to a close, with all-time low sightings of 1 (always young or baby) every 4 days or so, so it’s nice to be able to step up the fight with some of these under our stove, dishwasher, and in our sink (last place we’ve seen babies, they come for the water), and only spend a quarter doing so. I doubt they will all die, but if they naturally select (by us killing them) into ones that stick behind the walls and stay the fuck outta our sight, I’m fine with that. Diatomaceous earth + Home Depot bait traps seemed to do the trick – we’ve gottem them to change rooms they inhabit twice by driving them out. The original nest was within the walls of our dishwasher, which was NOT cool.
- $0.25: cutting board, plastic, red, Ikea, PE-LLD 13.75×9.5″ [from Susan] (EV:$1.99) – after Thu Tran autographed our last one, we didn’t have one. Then we bought a wooden one at a yardsale, but we stopped using it when the roaches came and it turned into a lampstand. This one hangs up on the wall, tho it’s warped.
- $FREE: graphic novel, Superman/Batman Public Enemies, beat-up condition (EV:$12.99 price tag, but docked to $2 because of the condition) – The movie was pretty damn good (click the title review), so yea I’ll take the graphic novel for free! Of course! Inside the cover it specifies that this is Superman/Batman #1-#6 + Superman/Batman Secret Files 2003. I’m betting the Secret Files contains stuff that was not in the movie.
2012 STATS SO FAR:
TOTAL EXPEDITIONS: 10
TOTAL HOURS: 40:54
TOTAL MILES DRIVEN: ~441.2
TOTAL MONEY SPENT: $449.79
TOTAL ITEMS BOUGHT: 247-366
(Note: these stats do not reflect the subtracting of $28.50 from the total estimated value, due to being screwed on the dartboard.)
* EV stands for “Estimated Value”, which I estimate by looking things up in Google Shopping/Google/Amazon/Ebay. I don’t always deduct for an item being used, unless it’s actually in worse condition in a way that matters. For example, I estimate books at the cover value. I also try to only count shipping if it’s the type of thing that would need to be shipped, and only if the price isn’t “fixed” (i.e. 1 cent items that cost $10 to ship would not be $10 in person).
Music: Zamfira + Rammstein – Trafik Solnca